Don’t be afraid to write crap, crap makes great fertilizer!
“Breathe! You can do this. No pressure!”
“Umm….yes pressure! You haven’t written anything in two months!”
“How dare you bring that up?! You know how sensitive I am about my writer’s block. Besides, I have been busy with…..stuff!”
“Stuff? Really? And writer’s block? Cm-on, that is the oldest excuse in the book!”
This continues on for a while until the sound of someone clearing their throat a little too emphatically draws your attention and you look up. There you find a slew of horrified faces staring at you as if you have a mushroom sprouting from your forehead. You pat your forehead just to be sure, “Phew! No mushrooms.” You look up again, that’s when it hits you like a sucker punch that you have been vocalizing your thoughts for the past few minutes.
“Oh God! Not again!” (Starts to slowly sink back in your chair)
Before I go on any further with this post, let it be known that writing is an art form that I have always had profound respect for. The ability to use to words to evoke a complex assortment of emotions, to give life to the inanimate, to offer a different perspective on what might be considered mundane; these are just but a few reasons why I am irrevocably in love with the art form.
That being said, I have come to learn that though the thrill of creating something fresh and exciting and having it be appreciated by others is positively exhilarating, the process can be a total pain! No really, writing totally sucks sometimes!
Don’t believe me huh? Let me see if I can try and make you see things my way.
1. When you have the entire story all planned out in your head but have absolutely nothing to write once you get to the actual typing.
2. When English becomes an alien language that is total gibberish and you can’t spell a word to save your life.
3. When you realize that the story isn’t as great as you had imagined it in your head once you write it down and read it out loud.
4. Don’t me get me started on the many pitfalls of punctuation!
6. MORE EDITING!!
7. When you haven’t written anything in weeks then you wake up one day and write two stories and four poems in two hours!
8. When you go through your first drafts and can’t press the delete button fast enough!
9. When you go through the pointers that you had quickly jotted down earlier thinking you would remember the details.
10. When you obsess over the endless ways to phrase a sentence. (When the endless ways with which you can phrase a sentence becomes an obsession)
11. And last but definitely not least,when you have a serious case of the writer’s block. Ugh!
With that dare I say impressive list of points, I rest my case.
Writing is indeed no mean feat but let me let you in on a little secret………. I wouldn’t have it any other way!